I’m new to flying and I want to know more about mapping/surveying

• I’m new to flying and I want to know more about mapping/surveying

DroneAcademy updated 2 weeks ago 3Members · 3 Posts
  • Nix

January 6, 2021 at 2:02 pm

When you were new to flying, how did you get into mapping/surveying?

• Jonathan

January 6, 2021 at 9:57 pm

I did my first orthomosaic when I was working for an oil & gas company some years back. They bought a drone to get aerial imagery of ‘unplanned release’ cleanups and other field activities. Since I had flown drones overseas, I became their ‘drone guy.’

After doing that for a couple of weeks, they asked if there was anything else the drone could do so I decided to get a trial version of Pix4d and put together an ortho of the 30 or so wells across one of their fields. They really liked that so I decided to start doing some basic 3D models of each wellsite.

The first few were pretty rough as I learned about what (and how many)photos to take, proper overlap, and how to create/use good tie points (I didn’t have the best luck with full auto tie points).

I remember trying to make a programmatic model using Pix4d running on a Surface 3…needless to say, it ended up overheating and crashing. This was way before I understood the computational power necessary to crunch all those triangles.

Things have come a long way 🙂

• DroneAcademy

January 9, 2021 at 2:25 pm

I bet @TXDroneCo has some great stories 🙂

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to browse on this website, you accept the use of cookies for the above purposes.

let's Fly together

Subscribe to Our Newsletter