This section will cover the 14 CFR Part 107 Regulation itself. Here you will learn about:
- various crew positions,
- their roles & responsibilities under the law,
- various sUAS flight restrictions,
- available waivers, and
- the certification/recertification process
This is a large section since the FAA wants to ensure that you have a strong grasp of the rules that govern the airspace in which you operate. In this section we cover:
- Controlled v Uncontrolled Airspace
- Various Airspace Classes
- Special Use Airspace
- How to Read Sectionals
- Notices to Airmen (NOTAM) and Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs)
This section covers the weather basics:
- What causes weather?
- Where can I find aviation weather reports?
- Decoding METARs and TAFs
- Understanding the impact of weather on sUAS operations
Aircraft Loading & Performance
Aircraft Loading & Performance is a relatively short section but important if you plan on using your drone to carry a camera, LiDAR, or other payload. We will look at:
- Physics of Flight
- Weight and Balance
- How to read performance charts
This section is diverse and covers many topics that are important to everyday flight operations for a Remote Pilot in Command. Topics like:
- Aeronautical Decision Making (ADM)
- Crew Resource Management (CRM)
- Maintenance and Inspections
- In-Flight Emergency Procedures
- Airport Operations (Flight Patterns & Radio Communications)
- Physiological and Psychological Factors
Operations at Night
This section will discuss the legal requirements for operating at night under Part 107 as well as the unique physiological and operational challenges that come with flying after dark.
Operations Over People
As of April 2021, Part 107 allows for flights over people (with some restrictions.) This course will explain what the regulation says about flying over people and how that impacts you.
Exam Review & Next Steps
This section will give you an overview of the Drone Academy Practice Exam which will simulate the FAA Part 107 Basic Airman Knowledge Exam. It will also give you instructions on how to apply for your Remote Pilot Certificate w/ sUAS Rating once you have successfully passed your exam!